Saturday, July 22, 2017

Greetings, Bloglings

Alas, I have decided to start a teacher blog for documenting all things Room 11, one of my most dearest happy places.  I just realized that my name will be Mrs. Megan once I marry Mr. Greg in September!  I will obviously need to change my blog title then ☺



Am I the only person who is excited to go to school in July?  Summer school began last week, and I am so happy to be back in the classroom!  My little friends are reading, reading, reading, and they are filling me with much excitement and inspiration for the upcoming school year!  

Some of the kiddos did not seem too excited when they came in last Monday morning (go figure).  They perked up through the week, though, and they already have a great sense of the routine and are putting forth consistent effort throughout our mornings together.  By the end of the week, I noticed that they seemed excited to write in their Summer Journals!  I made these as a simple way to keep them engaged in creative writing through the summer session, and I am so pleased to see that it is something they look forward to and enjoy.  I've decided to integrate this into next year and see how my class likes journal writing for morning work.  I'm working on making journals for each month of the school year!  



Each month includes 30 thematic journal writing prompts in three different formats.  There's a calendar that can be displayed in the classroom or used as a table of contents.


I also included the prompts in task card format.  These could be printed, cut, and glued into existing writing journals, or they can be laminated and used as a writing choice or center activity.



I am planning to compile the monthly journals for each student as they will make great mementos and portfolio items. It will be another way to document students' writing growth and development throughout the entire school year from month to month. It also integrates journal writing in a relaxed yet meaningful way.  The importance of journal writing across all levels and curricular subjects is well researched and documented.  In addition to building writing mechanics, regularly engaging in this process helps students develop metacognition, reflection, and self-awareness while additionally offering an efficient outlet for teachers to better understand and connect with their students.  I'm going to use this blog as a journal for myself for the same reasons!!

Enjoy the weekend! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Informational Writing

Greeting, Teacher Bloglings! As we are preparing for state testing in a few weeks, my third graders are focusing on polishing up their i...